In this episode, we discuss Dr. Toni’s perimenopausal symptoms before getting pregnant and how she used the following to support a successful pregnancy:
- Lab testing
- Herbal medicine
- Nutritional changes and supplements
- Bio-identical hormones
- Body work
- Family Constellation Therapy
- Principles and trainings from the Landmark Forum
In case you haven’t listened to one of our earlier episodes, we want to remind you what perimenopause is all about.
Perimenopause is the transition period anywhere from 5 to 15 years before menopause hits. With perimenopause, you can start to experience changes in your menstrual cycle, mood and weight.
Perimenopausal symptoms can include:
- Weight gain and metabolism issues
- Unpredictable periods
- Heavy or lighter periods
- Worsening of PMS
- Mood changes like anxiety and irritability
- Hot flashes or night sweats
- Trouble falling or staying asleep
- Brain fog, memory issues and problems concentrating
Common hormonal imbalances during perimenopause occur with progesterone, estrogen, cortisol, testosterone and thyroid hormones.
On this episode, Dr. Toni is sharing her fertility journey. Hopefully this resonates with you and provides some inspiration. Are you a perimenopausal mama wanting to expand your family and get pregnant again? Are you a perimenopausal mama-to-be? Having kids when you’re older can be challenging. Sometimes you’re faced with pessimism from other people. For instance, you can be questioned about your goal to become pregnant by your own family doctor.
Some perimenopausal symptoms Dr. Toni dealt with before getting pregnant included:
- Hot flashes
- Night sweats
- Short menstrual cycles
Dr. Toni always wanted to be a mom and have kids. So, she created a 15 year plan when she was 25 years old with the end goal of having a baby by the time she was 40. However, it took some time to find the right partner who was ready to settle down and start a family. Once she did, it was time to get working on her fertility and to do some preconception preparation.
To address her physical health, she started:
- lengthening her short 21-24 day menstrual cycles with herbal medicine
- eating clean as much as possible, even with major sweet tooth
- supporting uterine health, ovary health and egg quality with antioxidant supplements like CoQ10, NAC, and an active form of folic acid called MTHF
- addressing hormone levels with laboratory testing done on day 3 of her menstrual cycle and day 21 of her menstrual cycle
- taking a bioidentical form of progesterone called Prometrium to treat the low progesterone associated with luteal phase defect
- receiving bodywork like massage and abdominal visceral manipulation
Stress impacts your hormone balance and fertility. Therefore, Dr. Toni addressed the mental, emotional, spiritual and energetic aspects of health in order to reduce stress with:
- Herbal and homeopathic medicine prescribed by her Naturopathic Doctor
- Attending the Landmark Forum and other courses to deal with her parents’ divorce and create the intention of a loving family
- Family Constellation therapy to address the inter-generational trauma and unrecognized grief associated with her grandmother’s death after childbirth
After 6 months on bio-identical progesterone, Dr. Toni returned to her family doctor to confirm her pregnancy with blood work! Woo hoo!
Overall, it was worth it for Dr. Toni to do the extra work to:
- remove obstacles in the way of getting pregnant
- address her physical health
- work on dealing with hidden stress and issues under the surface, that are stuffed down or avoided
Not only did this help her get pregnant, it was important for dealing with postpartum challenges and being a better mom.
Today’s tip: Your thoughts change your biology. Start thinking outside of the box to uncover where your stress is coming from.
Today’s Mama Must Have:
Dr. Toni is a super big fan of topical magnesium called Epsom Gel. It can help reduce the extra stress and muscle tension in the neck, shoulders and back that happens when you’re picking up your kids, feeding them or going about your other daily activities.
Get the Epsom Gel on Amazon.
As an Amazon Associate, Dr. Toni earns from qualifying purchases, which helps to keep this podcast up and running!
Thank you for joining us today!
Please tell your perimenopausal mama friends about us, too!