Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 43:46 — 35.1MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Email | Deezer | RSS | More
In today’s episode, Dr. Toni talks with pelvic health physiotherapists Jenna Dobberthien and Helen Lo about some embarrassing, yet common, pelvic floor issues that your kids can experience. They discuss bedwetting, constipation, giggle incontinence and overactive bladder issues, and how specially trained physiotherapists can help parents and kids figure it all out.
Jenna Dobberthien and Helen Lo both graduated with Master’s of Science in Physical Therapy from the University of Alberta, then went on to complete advanced training in pelvic health for women and men and children. Helen is a certified pelvic health physiotherapist. Both Jenna and Helen provide treatment for kids and their parents at Peak Health Kids physiotherapy clinic in Calgary.
In this episode, we cover:
- How everyone has pelvic floor muscles to help with core stability, as well as bowel and bladder habits
- The development of bladder and bowel control in your kids and what to expect with different age ranges for daytime and nighttime
- The importance of using language to eliminate the negativity your kids might feel around bladder and bowel control
- You can use the words “leakage” and “wetness” instead of “accidents”
- How constipation and genetics can play a role with urinary issues in kids
- What a physiotherapy assessment can look like for your kids, depending on the consent of you and your kids
- The different types of fun and easy exercises that physiotherapists can give your kids to guide them to use their pelvic floor muscles and diaphragm
- How to support your kids to relax and not strain on the toilet
- Read a book
- Blow bubbles or pinwheel
For more info on pelvic floor health for women, see Episode 34, Episode 36, Episode 41
For more info on dealing with constipation in your kids, see Episode 63
You can connect with Jenna by email at email@example.com and connect with Helen on Instagram @getlophysio and email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can book a free 15 minute consultations by visiting http://www.peakhealthkids.com/ or @peakkids on Instagram
Today’s Mama Must Have:
Helen and Jenna (and Dr. Toni) are big fans of the Squatty Potty, or whatever DIY version (stool? garbage can? shoebox?) helps you and your kids to relax and get knees above hips when sitting on the toilet.
Dr. Toni loves the podcast We Can Do Hard Things with Untamed author Glennon Doyle, her wife Abby and sister Amanda, especially 2 recent episodes with author and life coach Martha Beck, and Yale professor Dr. Laurie Santos on happiness.
Thank you for joining us today!
Email us or connect with us on Facebook and Instagram. We’d love you to subscribe, leave us a review and a 5-star rating if you enjoyed this episode. You can also support us by visiting our Patreon page.
Please tell your perimenopausal mama friends about us, too!
Stay safe and healthy everyone!
Disclaimer: The information provided in this presentation is not meant to replace treatment with a licensed health care practitioner. It is for informational purposes only. Consult with a Naturopathic Doctor or other licensed health care professional to determine which treatments are safe for you.