In today’s episode, Dr. Lisa and Dr. Toni are celebrating the 150th episode of the Perimenopausal Mamas Podcast and review their top lessons from the past 149 episodes to navigate perimenopause with more ease.
- Unpredictable changes in perimenopause is the only thing that is predictable!
- symptoms can change from month to month
- symptoms can vary and are based on your hormone fluctuations
- irregular cycles and heavy bleeding
- PMS, mood swings, depression and anxiety
- hot flashes and night sweats
- joint pain and body aches
- skin and hair changes
- weight and metabolism changes
- fatigue and brain fog
- hormones are impacted by stress, sleep and how much fun you have (or miss)
Menopause is when you have not had a menstrual period for 12 months.
Perimenopause is the transition period before you reach menopause and can last for 4 years, 8 years or longer.
Does every woman experience the transition from perimenopause to menopause the same way?
You can have one of 4 different patterns of estrogen and 3 different patterns of FSH levels, as well as different combinations of other symptoms at different stages of perimenopause.
- Acceptance and love for yourself is more important than forcing or pushing yourself
- Treat yourself like a friend instead of shoulding on yourself
- Don’t have to fight yourself or cycles and expect perfection
- Don’t have to restrict to see change – focus adding things in, not removing, to nourish yourself: joyful movement, foods you love, adding in sleep and connection
- Practice acceptance of what is and what isn’t
- RAIN meditation by Tara Brach – https://www.tarabrach.com/
- Perimenopause can be a positive time for reawakening and reconnecting with yourself
- Focus on your needs, priorities and boundaries
- Recognize the different phases you can experience with cyclical living and the 4 different Relationship Seasons™ – see Episode 82
- Practicing being mindful and conscious
Today’s Mama Must-Have:
- Dr. Lisa loves being part of mom’s groups like Mom Halo and Mamas and Co (and running Wild Collective) to connect with other like-minded women
- Dr. Toni is a big fan of 5 minutes of anger work as healthy outlet for expressing anger instead of avoiding, stuffing it or unleashing it on loved ones – using the couch as a punching bag
What’s Else is Happening?
Dr. Toni’s next HypnoBirthing session for expecting parents looking to decrease fear and anxiety to support their natural instincts around labour and birth is happening this fall. Join her at https://www.hypnobirthingcalgary.com/register
Join Dr. Lisa’s new Meetup group Wild Woman Adventures Toronto if you want to get out in nature, connect with other women and push yourself out of your comfort zone. Activities include: sunrise/sunset SUP, tree-top trekking, a new moon workshop and more!
We’d love you to subscribe, leave us a review and a 5-star rating if you enjoyed this episode.
You can also support us by visiting our Patreon page.
Please tell your perimenopausal mama friends about us, too!
Stay safe and healthy everyone!
Disclaimer: The information provided is not meant to replace treatment with a licensed health care practitioner. It is for informational purposes only. Consult with a Naturopathic Doctor or other licensed health care professional to determine which treatments are safe for you.