In today’s episode re-release from 2020, Dr. Toni talks with Dr. Cyndi Gilbert about the health benefits of nature exposure. Getting outside is so important to reduce stress and stress related health conditions for both you and your kids. Listen in to learn more.
Dr. Cyndi is a naturopathic doctor, the mom of 2 kids and the author of two books, the Essential Guide to Women’s Herbal Medicine and Forest Bathing. Dr. Cyndi’s naturopathic medical practice in Toronto has a clinical focus in mental health, trauma, addiction, sexual/reproductive health and LBGT2SQ health.
In this episode, we cover:
- The impact of quarantines and stay-at-home orders, in addition to what neighbourhood you live in, on access to green space
- How less access to green spaces makes you at higher risk for a number of different health conditions related to stress
- The health benefits of just sitting outside for both you and your kids
- How your immune system can benefit from smelling the essential oils of the trees, as well as the vitamin D your body makes from sun exposure
- The importance of mindfulness and getting away from your daily responsibilities to decrease your level of stress
- How you experience nature and green spaces is impacted by your sense of nature connectedness and safety, which can also depend on your sex, gender and racial identity or level of mobility
- The importance of considering and acknowledging the history of the land you are on and people who have cared for that land
- Creating your own mindful practice for self-care and self-reflection in nature
- Five Senses Forest Bathing – use each of your five senses to acknowledge what is around you
- How nature can provide a place for both self-care and building community
You can order Dr. Cyndi’s books on her website https://cyndigilbert.ca/
You can find Dr. Cyndi on social media @drcyndind or on a hike or in a canoe with her family.
Today’s Mama Must Have:
Dr. Toni is grateful for her neighbourhood park to spend time outside with her family with a ball or bottle of bubbles.
Dr. Cyndi recommends introducing more green into your life, even if it is as simple as having a potted plant. She always brings a plastic bag and glove to clean up garbage in the green spaces she enjoys.
Thanks for listening!
We’d love you to subscribe, leave us a review and a 5-star rating if you enjoyed this episode.
You can also support us by visiting our Patreon page.
Please tell your perimenopausal mama friends about us, too!
Stay safe and healthy everyone!
Disclaimer: The information provided is not meant to replace treatment with a licensed health care practitioner. It is for informational purposes only. Consult with a Naturopathic Doctor or other licensed health care professional to determine which treatments are safe for you.