Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 48:40 — 39.0MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Email | Deezer | RSS | More
In today’s episode, Dr. Lisa and Dr. Toni talk about migraines, something that too many women experience.
It’s not in your head! The pain is real!
In this episode, we cover:
- Possible causes of your migraines
- Stress causing magnesium deficiency and muscle tension
- Structural alignment of neck and tailbone
- Weather or barometric pressure changes (example: Chinook winds in Calgary)
- Blood sugar imbalance
- Food sensitivities and histamine intolerance, including alcohol, caffeine, cheese, food additives like nitrites
- Brain inflammation and nerve irritation
- Hormones: estrogen/progesterone imbalance
- Dr. Toni’s personal experience growing up with migraines and they are linked with her diagnosis of mitral valve prolapse, a common heart murmur (hint: magnesium!)
- Current and new conventional treatments for migraines offered by family doctors and specialists
- The importance of figuring out the factors that are impacting your migraines
- Natural ways to address your migraines:
- Track your migraines using a migraine diary to help figure out your triggers
- Support your sleep – see Perimenopausal Mamas Podcast Episode 4: Sleep Solutions for Perimenopause
- Increase your hydration
- Avoid any allergies, food sensitivities and address possible leaky gut – see Perimenopausal Mamas Podcast Episode 8: Leaky Gut and Your Microbiome – How These Impact Your Health and What to Do About It
- Replace any nutrient deficiencies from your medications
- Balance your blood sugar levels – see Perimenopausal Mamas Podcast Episode 15: How to Not Gain Weight During Times of Stress – Part 1
- Reduce inflammation in your body
- Support your mitochondria
- Balance your hormones
- Reduce your stress and muscle tension
- Get acupuncture and other bodywork therapies like chiropractic, craniosacral therapy, physiotherapy, osteopathy
- Lower your daily caffeine intake to use it as an acute treatment
- Consider nutrients like magnesium, riboflavin, coQ10, 5-HTP, melatonin, fish oil and herbs like ginger, feverfew, butterbur
Today’s Mama Must Have:
Dr. Lisa relies on her home gym, which has simple and inexpensive equipment including an exercise ball, free weights and resistance bands.
Thank you for joining us today!
Email us or connect with us on Facebook and Instagram. We’d love you to subscribe, leave us a review and a 5-star rating if you enjoyed this episode.
Please tell your perimenopausal mama friends about us, too!
Stay safe everyone!