While celebrating our 200th episode (!), Dr. Lisa reviews what worked for her, AND what hasn’t, in her perimeonpausal journey thus far. Dr. Toni shares the common symptoms of perimenopause, a transitional time of fluctuating hormones that can look different for every woman. Symptoms may include: hot flashes, irregular or heavy periods, sleep issues, aches/pains, depression, anxiety, brain fog, body composition changes and more.
In today’s episode, we cover:
- What is perimenopause and menopause
- Hear about Dr. Toni’s experience going into menopause:
- What has been working for Dr. Lisa
- Menstrual cycle awareness – for more info, see Episode 59
- Slowing down, listening to your body, self love and acceptance
- Increasing soy, supplements like magnesium, L-theanine, ashwagandha, using progesterone cream
- Some changes that Dr. Lisa implemented that have reduced perimenopausal symptoms
- Switching from intermittent fasting to a way of eating and fasting that supports her hormones
- Going alcohol free
- Ditching the weighted blanket (the reason may surprise you!)
See more info about research on perimenopause:
See more info about sleep: Episode 73
See more info about hot flashes: Episode 32
Today’s Mama Must-Have:
Dr. Lisa loves her Costco membership for bulk shopping and chest freezer in the basement to store leftovers
Toni – immune support for change of season – gummies, multi and electrolyte powders with elderberry and zinc, plus topping up with vitamin D drops
What’s Else is Happening?
Dr. Lisa has been nominated again for a Toronto Star’s Reader’s Choice Award (she won the Diamond Award for “Best Naturopathic Clinic/Services” last year in 2022). Please vote for her in the Health/Wellness/Fitness/Beauty category under “Naturopathic Clinic/Services” if you feel so inclined. She is third on the list (under another Naturopathic Doctor named Lisa). Thanks! You have until Oct 23rd to vote.
You may need to create an account (it’s free) – just to ensure you are a real person.It only takes 2 minutes, and Dr. Lisa would be so grateful!
Dr. Toni’s next HypnoBirthing session for expecting parents looking to decrease fear and anxiety to support their natural instincts around labour and birth is happening this fall. Join her at https://www.hypnobirthingcalgary.com/register
Thanks for listening!
We’d love you to subscribe, leave us a review and a 5-star rating if you enjoyed this episode.
You can also support us by visiting our Patreon page.
Please tell your perimenopausal mama friends about us, too!
Stay safe and healthy everyone!
Disclaimer: The information provided is not meant to replace treatment with a licensed health care practitioner. It is for informational purposes only. Consult with a Naturopathic Doctor or other licensed health care professional to determine which treatments are safe for you.