Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:02:44 — 50.3MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Email | Deezer | RSS | More
In today’s episode, Dr. Lisa talks to Dr. Jen Newell, Naturopathic Doctor and founder of Connected Health and Skin. They discuss: how hormones affect our skin; why we get wrinkles, age spots and acne; the best ways to prevent premature aging; which foods, drinks, and supplements are good for your skin and which ones may harm it; and how to properly cleanse and moisturize.
Dr. Jen sought out a Naturopathic approach to skin health when she became dissatisfied with oral contraceptives, antibiotics and other conventional treatments for her own hormonal cystic acne and mild rosacea. Dr. Jen helps women overcome acne and other skin disorders to achieve a clear, radiant complexion, restored hormonal balance and renewed digestive function.
In this episode, we cover:
- How your skin changes due to hormonal and structural changes in perimenopause including:
- Acne on chest, back, jawline or hairline
- Age spots
- Wrinkles and aging
- Thinning skin
- How different hair products you use could cause inflammation and impact your skin health
- Why daily mineral sunscreen use is a key component for maintaining skin health
- Why it’s important to protect you skin from UVA rays that travel through windows
- Why eating colourful fruit and vegetables is important for your skin
- Why drinking too much coffee and alcohol is not great for your skin
- Why you may want to drink more herbal tea like nettle, hibiscus, spearmint, licorice root
- The biggest factors that impact how your skin will age, outside of genetics (hint: they start with the letter S – sugar, sun, smoking, stress)
- How prescription medications like anti-depressants and insulin can impact your skin health
- How antioxidant supplements, like: lycopene, CoQ10, astaxanthin, quercetin may benefit your skin and why you may want to talk to your Naturopathic Doctor about adding some into your regime
- Why supplementing with biotin could be aggravating your acne
- Which ingredients you may want to look for in your skin care products, like retinoids, vitamin C, green tea extract, niacinamide
- Which skin care products are the most important to use
- Why oil cleansing can help your skin health when you use it with another gentle cleanser
- If it’s worth it to use a collagen supplement
Today’s Mama Must-Have:
Dr. Jen cannot live without a creamy milk cleanser to keep her face feeling fresh and healthy
Dr. Lisa loves Consonant hand cream to protect and hydrate her hands with the extra hand washing and use of hand sanitizer
You can find and connect with Dr. Jen Newell at www.connectedhealthandskin.com and on Instagram @newellnd
Visit the NaturalDermStore for healthy, evidence based natural skin care products. You can receive a 15% discount off your order using the code: Perimenopause. Reach out to them for help to find the right products for you.
Thank you for joining us today!
Email us or connect with us on Facebook and Instagram. We’d love you to subscribe, leave us a review and a 5-star rating if you enjoyed this episode.
Please tell your perimenopausal mama friends about us, too!
Stay safe everyone!