Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 54:06 — 43.3MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Email | Deezer | RSS | More
In this episode, Dr. Lisa talks with Certified Holistic Nutritionist (and best-selling author!) Joy McCarthy about: which foods to eat to support detox; how to “green” your body care products; ways to amp up your salads with powerhouse foods; and how to sneak more vegetables into your child’s diet.
Joy McCarthy is the bestselling author of: Joyous Health, The Joyous Cookbook and Joyous Detox, which was a World Gourmand Cookbook Award recipient. She is also the co-host of the Joyous Health Podcast.
In this episode, we cover:
- How a food-based 10-day detox can be the easiest way to get started
- The benefits of focusing on what you can eat instead of what you can’t eat
- Sources of different chemicals that you may be exposed to throughout the day (and it may shock you!)
- The benefits of doing a beauty detox, starting with the products that spend a lot of time on your skin, like your moisturizer and foundation
- Why you should look up the ingredients of your personal care products on the Think Dirty App and Skin Deep Database
- How to tell if the food you’re eating is putting a burden on your liver
- The benefits of choosing organic food whenever possible, especially when it comes to the “Dirty Dozen”
- Why you need more variety and colour on your plate (and why you should be eating kale and arugula!)
- How lemon, apple cider vinegar and fermented foods can help your gut to support you body’s detoxification process
- What Joy puts in her salad and how she gets her daughter to eat salads
- How to fit more veggies in your life and make kid-friendly foods
How to detox on a daily basis:
- Avoid: additives, preservatives, processed foods, sugar
- Eat more: vegetables and other plants, especially cruciferous vegetables, citrus, herbs and spices like fennel, cilantro, parsley, mint, turmeric, ginger, garlic
Some delicious Joyous Health Detox Supporting Recipes you can try:
Nourishing Turmeric Golden Soup
Creamy and Dreamy Colourful Kale Salad
Digestive Soothing Green Smoothie
You can find Joy @joyoushealth on Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest and on Facebook. Shop for her detox tea, detox program, and the Joyous Detox Cookbook on her online store.
Today’s Mama Must Have:
Dr. Lisa takes a teaspoon of unpasteurized apple cider vinegar in water before eating to support her digestion.
Joy includes meditation in her daily routine to stay sane and manage anxiety, including the Calm app and Deepak Chopra’s Daily Breath app.
Thank you for joining us today!
Email us or connect with us on Facebook and Instagram. We’d love you to subscribe, leave us a review and a 5-star rating if you enjoyed this episode.
Please tell your perimenopausal mama friends about us, too!
Stay safe everyone!