In today’s episode, Dr. Toni talks with Dr. Paul Anderson about what scientific research is telling us about how nutrition impacts your immune system and its ability to deal with COVID-19. Whether or not your kids are back to school, we’re discussing what the current evidence suggests you can do to support your family heading into cold and flu season while still dealing with a pandemic.
Reminder: The information in this podcast is for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not meant to substitute professional medical advice. Always consult with your licensed health care provider.
Dr. Paul Anderson is a naturopathic doctor and educator with a focus on complex infections, chronic illness and cancer care, as well as the author of multiple books including “Outside the Box Cancer Therapies” and the upcoming book “Cancer…Living Your Life While You Have It”. In addition to educating clinicians through his website www.ConsultDrAnderson.com, he is the host of the podcast Medicine and Health with Dr. Paul Anderson
In this episode, we cover:
- The importance of the basics of healthy living for supporting your immune function:
- Proper hydration with water
- Avoiding intake of sugar
- Increasing intake of colourful veggies and fruit
- Adequate sleep and rest
- Moving your body
- How the SARS CoV-2 virus is different from viruses that cause the common cold and influenza
- Why eating well might not provide enough nutrient support for your immune system during the cold and flu season plus pandemic
- Supplements that you might not get enough of from your food and why
- Vitamin C – your body doesn’t produce it on its own and uses a lot of it when you get sick
- N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) – provides the building blocks for glutathione and keeps your mucus membranes working like fly paper to trap viruses
- Vitamin A, D, K – fat soluble vitamins that have anti-viral and immune supportive activities, also require careful dosing over the long term (testing your individual levels is recommended)
- Quercetin – bioflavonoid from food that helps zinc to slow down viruses in your body
- Multivitamin containing B vitamins and minerals like zinc, selenium and chromium to provide multiple helper nutrients needed to prevent your immune cells from slowing down
- The possible future research that may further information on the use of omega-3 fatty acids and probiotics for immune health and hospital protocols using inexpensive treatments like vitamin C
Check out Dr. Anderson’s newsletter that includes links to research articles, recommended nutrients and dosages here: Nutrients and COVID-19 Newsletter
Connect with Dr. Anderson and get his recipes for supporting your immune health on Instagram @DrAOnline and Facebook @Dr.AOnline
Today’s Mama Must Have:
Dr. Toni is thankful for podcasters like Dr. Paul Anderson who are trusted sources of information we can use to stay healthy…we hope the Perimenopausal Mamas Podcast does the same for you!
Thank you for joining us today!
Please tell your perimenopausal mama friends about us, too!
Stay safe and healthy everyone!