In today’s episode, Dr. Lisa talks with personal fitness trainer Erin Billowits about how to stay active even when you’re not feeling motivated. Erin shares ways to sneak exercise into your day (for example, while you wait for the kettle to boil!) and how to stretch while on a Zoom call. She also talks about ways to help keep your kids active while most extra-curricular activities and sports are on hold.
By starting Vintage Fitness in 2005, Erin has created a team of professionals who work with people over 50 to motivate and train them in a way that is challenging, effective and safe.
In this episode, we cover:
- The common mistake women make of focusing too much on cardio and not enough on weight training
- The importance of variety and mixing it up with physical activity so your body doesn’t get too good at any one movement
- Why crunches aren’t the best idea to work your abs and core
- How motivation doesn’t just fall into your lap – you need to make the appointment, even if it’s to start small
- The importance of having a goal and connecting to the reason why you are doing any exercise
- How the benefits of exercise aren’t just limited to managing your weight and include improvements in your:
- Mood and mental health
- Bone health
- Strength and posture
- Why the worse thing you can do if you have joint pain is to rest instead of continuing appropriate movement
- The importance of scheduling a wellness hour for yourself every day
- Different tips on how to sneak in exercise into your day by pairing certain activities with your usual routine while in the kitchen, brushing your teeth or working at your desk
- How to keep your kids active as a way of life
- How strength training is the key when you reach perimenopause, as well as watching what you are eating
Do you need help with your motivation to exercise?
Erin is offering you a free virtual training session!
All you have to do is visit go to the VINTAGE FITNESS WEBSITE to request a session online, or you can call or text her to set it up at 416-951-7978
You can follow and connect with Erin and Vintage Fitness on Facebook.
Here is a video on how to sneak exercise into your day while in the kitchen.
Here is another video on how to get exercise in using your stairs.
Here is a short video on how to stretch while working at your desk.
Today’s Mama Must Have:
Erin’s must-have is Zoom yoga classes, with the added benefits of having a shared experience, mindfulness and feedback from the instructor.
Dr. Lisa relies on her daily 1-hour walk to get all of the benefits of movement.
Thank you for joining us today!
Please tell your perimenopausal mama friends about us, too!
Stay safe and healthy everyone!