Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 45:39 — 36.6MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Email | Deezer | RSS | More
In today’s episode, Dr. Lisa and Dr. Toni discuss their Best and Worst of 2020 and talk about their intentions for this year. This episode is not about resolutions!
Dr. Toni’s Best of 2020:
- Staying hydrated by drinking lemon water every morning for increased energy and delaying breaking overnight fast
- Walking outside daily for physical and mental health
- Doing something about her hot flashes – improvement with nutrients and herbs, even when indulged in alcohol over the holidays! See Episode 32 for more details
- Tackling mental health in the face of pandemic, loss and grief with nutrition, herbs, connection and gratitude
- Taking a pre-holiday break from sugar and alcohol
Dr. Lisa’s Best of 2020:
- Started Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Insomnia (CBT-I) for improved sleep
- Practiced daily gratitude and bullet-journalling
- Started time-restricted eating (aka “Intermittent fasting”)
- Modified her work environment for the better: near a window, using a light box, using standing desk
- Took a break from alcohol for a few months in the fall, then really limited over the holidays and found other ways to relax, including yoga, Insight Timer, walking, reading
- Asked herself “why” she was having alcohol and did I need more?
Dr. Toni’s Worst of 2020:
- Sleep issues due to pandemic, Frankie’s broken sleep and poor sleep hygiene
- Lack of daily practice for meditation, quiet reflection, gratitude
- Too much mindless screen and online time
Dr. Lisa’s Worst of 2020:
- Indulging too much: baking a lot with her son, Stuart
- Addiction to SmartSweets – bought and ate way too much
- Not asking for help sooner while trying to do too much on her own with her business (she now has a virtual assistant!)
- Putting alone “couple time” on the back burner after starting off well so well with that at the beginning of the pandemic
Dr. Toni’s Intentions for 2021:
- Daily pelvic health practice
- Switching up meditation and incorporating HypnoMothering practices
- Shutting off screens earlier and reading books before bed
- Scheduling fun and partner dates
- Looking at new systems for planning
Dr. Lisa’s Intentions for 2021:
- Gretchen Rubin’s Read21in21 challenge: reading for at least 21 minutes per day in 2021
- 3 minute cold shower daily
- More time for fun and play
Word for 2021:
- Dr. Toni: Nurture
- Dr. Lisa: Wonder/Light
What do you want in 2021? Consider creating something like Gretchen Rubin’s 21 for 2021 List
Today’s Mama Must Haves:
Dr. Toni is currently obsessed with the series Bridgerton on Netflix (produced by Shonda Rhimes of Grey’s Anatomy fame), not only for how it provides a lovely escape from current events, but for its look at expectations around marriage, gender roles, class and race. Think Pride & Prejudice with sex! It has inspired her to get back to using her local public library to read the novels by Janet Quinn. While waiting, she’s re-reading Pride & Prejudice.
Dr. Lisa loves the Insight Timer LIVE events, providing extra options for breathing, meditation and yoga classes with the added bonus of connection and feedback.
Sign up for Dr. Lisa’s free Masterclass on Thursday, Jan 14th at 7:00pm EST: “Work Smarter Not Harder: Tap Into Your Hormonal and Moon Rhythms” to discover how to be more productive, efficient and energized in your life and business.
Dr. Toni’s next Online HypnoBirthing Prenatal Class for expecting parents starts Wednesday, Jan 20th at 7:00pm MST
Thank you for joining us today!
Email us or connect with us on Facebook and Instagram. We’d love you to subscribe, leave us a review and a 5-star rating if you enjoyed this episode.
Please tell your perimenopausal mama friends about us, too!
Stay safe everyone!