Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 48:07 — 38.5MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Email | Deezer | RSS | More
In today’s episode, Dr. Lisa is talking to Dr. Penny Kendall-Reed, ND, about how your genetics plays an important role in your metabolism and weight management. When it comes to diet and exercise, one size doesn’t fit all! Learn how your genes provide the information to tell your body when it’s hungry, how stress will impact your weight and what type of food and exercise is the best for your body to reduce your weight.
Penny Kendall-Reed is the director and practicing naturopathic doctor at the Urban Wellness Clinic in Toronto. After graduating from McGill University in Neurobiology, she earned a degree in Naturopathic Medicine from the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine; here she received the Dr. Allen Tyler Award for Most Outstanding Clinician. Dr. Kendall Reed is the author of 5 national bestselling books and just released her 6th book Fix your Genes to Fit your Jeans. In 2013 she was voted Naturopath of the Year, and in 2018 was the recipient of the top Naturopathic Doctor Award in Canada. She is the creator of GeneRx, an integrated genetic platform and an international medical consultant for Douglas Laboratories, Pure Encapsulations and Pure Genomics.
In today’s episode, we cover:
- How dopamine can help you to get “addicted” to exercise
- The importance of being able to turn on and turn off your gene expression, or individual coding, through lifestyle and nutrition to support your metabolism, hormone balance and anti-cancer activity of your immune system
- What is a SNP or single nucleotide polymorphism?
- How stress can cause SNPs and impact your genetic expression
- The least expensive way to get your genes tested
- An easy way to maintain your privacy when you get 23 and me testing
- How the GeneRx platform provides an option for getting specific lifestyle recommendations based on your genetic information
- How you produce more cortisol, which increases insulin release and reduces your metabolism from 92% to 36%, as you get into perimenopause
- How the nutrients in Sereniten Plus can be used to unstick your brain receptors involved in your stress response
- The importance of connection, exercise and having something fun to forward to for reducing your stress and cortisol levels
- How sleeping 7 hours instead of 8 hours a night decreases your ability to lose weight by 55% and can increase your weight by 6% in one week!
- How the herbs and amino acid in Tri-Metabolic Control can help reset your metabolic hormones of adiponectin, leptin and ghrelin involved in your weight and food-seeking behaviour
- How Dr. Penny uses the chocolate Pure Paleo protein powder to get enough collagen to support her skin, hair and nails
You can connect with Dr. Penny Kendall-Reed at http://pkrhealth.ca/
See your naturopathic doctor for more information on using GeneRx.
Thank you for joining us today!
Email us or connect with us on Facebook and Instagram. We’d love you to subscribe, leave us a review and a 5-star rating if you enjoyed this episode.
Please tell your perimenopausal mama friends about us, too!
Stay safe everyone!