In this episode, Dr. Toni talks with Dr. Taylor Bean about vaccines, vaccine optimization and enhancing the immune health of our children. The topic of vaccination, especially for our kids, is often emotional and polarizing, whether you’re talking to your family, friends or health care provider. Many parents have questions about vaccines but don’t feel comfortable asking questions, or don’t even know which questions to ask to fully understand the vaccines that are recommended for their kids.
Dr. Taylor Bean, ND, is one of the few Naturopathic Doctors in British Columbia (and all of Canada) who is licensed to administer vaccines to adults and children 5 years of age and older in her office. Having two children of her own, Dr. Bean is well aware of the concerns, questions and even fears that parents have when it comes to vaccinating their children. Dr. Bean is open to discussing the many questions parents have around vaccination, as there are several inaccuracies that can be found on the internet.
In today’s episode, we cover:
- The basic goal of vaccination (to make antibodies in response to an antigen)
- How different vaccine schedules in different provinces and countries can impact kids and adults who have moved
- The importance of informed consent and respectful communication around vaccination to address vaccine hesitancy
- Nutrients that can support your immune system function and vaccine effectiveness, including vitamin C, probiotics, glutathione
- The importance of avoiding Tylenol to support the effectiveness of a vaccine
- How your individual genetics and tendency for inflammation can impact how you react to vaccines (it’s not just about MTHFR!)
- The importance of getting your titers tested for measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox and hepatitis B – did you know that not everyone makes antibodies in response to a vaccine?
- How making antibodies to a specific vaccine does not mean you have zero risk of contracting that illness – what?!?!
- Fuel for your immune system: vitamin C, zinc, selenium, water, good sleep
- Whether you should be concerned about possible delays in your child’s vaccine schedule from disruptions due to school closures or focus on COVID-19 vaccination
You can connect with Dr. Taylor Bean on Instagram @drtaylorbean
If you’re interested in learning more about Dr. Bean’s vaccine optimization webinar, sign up for notifications at https://drtaylorbean.com/
Today’s Mama Must Have:
Dr. Toni depends on her morning elixir with herbal or green tea, coconut butter, local honey, herbs like maca and shatavari and other immune supportive nutrients like vitamin C, mushroom extracts and arabinogalactans. Her favourite elixir cookbook is Elixir Life by Malcolm Saunders
Dr. Taylor Bean recommends the book From Fear To Love by Midwife Red Miller to pregnant mamas who want a more connected and informed birth and parenting experience.
Thank you for joining us today!
Please tell your perimenopausal mama friends about us, too!
Stay safe everyone!