Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 54:59 — 44.1MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Email | Deezer | RSS | More
In today’s episode, Dr. Lisa discusses the approach of intuitive eating for kids with registered dietitian Jay Baum. Find out how to develop healthy eating habits with your kids and make mealtime fun instead of stress-inducing. You can raise a child who is an intuitive eater, even if you grew up to have a dysfunctional relationship with food.
Jay Baum is a Registered Dietitian with over 10 years of experience working with families. She is the owner of Pommetta Nutrition, a private practice based in Toronto, where she applies an intuitive eating approach with an emphasis on eating competence. Former professional chef and mama of two, Jay knows her way around the kitchen and has firsthand knowledge of the challenges that go along with feeding kids.
In this episode, we cover:
- The difference between Intuitive Eating, eating intuitively and eating competence
- The importance of checking in with yourself about the baggage from the past that you have around eating, dieting and meal times
- The division of responsibility between you and your child at mealtimes
- The importance of having a rough schedule of meals and snacks
- How to make your main family meal fun so your kids want to be at the table
- The difference between kid friendly and family friendly foods
- The importance of modeling healthy eating to your kids
- How to deal with your kids’ eating quirks and changing appetites
- The pros and cons of processed food and snacks
- The balancing act between allowing and restricting sweets
- The importance of normalizing not finishing or liking a food when trying something new
Powerful Mama Advice from Jay:
Start with one small change that you can be consistent with and turn into a habit over the long term. Give yourself some grace and do the best you can!
Check out Jay’s website and blog here (she has a great post about 50 mealtime conversation starters to use with your kids)
Follow Jay on Instagram @feeding.kids_intuitive.eating
Join Jay’s Pommetta Nutrition Facebook Community
Looking for realistic tips for feeding your kids? Sign up for her newsletter HERE
Interested in taking a course? Register Now
Today’s Mama Must-Have:
Dr. Lisa enjoys a few squares of 80% dark chocolate after lunch and loves the Zazubean and Giddy Yoyo brands.
Thank you for joining us today!
Have any comments, suggestions or burning questions? Email us or connect with us on Facebook and Instagram. We’d love you to subscribe, leave us a review and a 5-star rating if you enjoyed this episode.
Please tell your perimenopausal mama friends about us, too!
Stay safe and healthy everyone!