In today’s re-released episode from last year, Dr. Lisa discusses everyday tools for feelings and kindness with educator Tara Gratto to support parents. As parents, we have a whole range of feelings and our patience is tested over and over. Social and emotional intelligence is a skill like learning a language – it needs to be practiced! Listen in to learn more.
Tara Gratto M.S.Ed, MA, OCT is the founder of Raising Resilient Children. A long time educator and former preschool owner, she supports parents with tools and skills for feelings, kindness and everyday mental well-being. Her signature framework, the Language of Kindness makes parenting easier while fostering connection and building essential life skills with children. Tara focuses on supporting busy parents with tools for today, tomorrow and life.
In this episode, we cover:
- How to lose your cool less
- What you can do in the moment when you are losing your cool
- Awareness of triggers (where and when?)
- Breathe and counting backwards from 10 or 5 (model tools for emotional regulation to your kids)
- Five Finger breathing, Butterfly breathing or Dragon breathing
- Name it to Tame it
- The principles of the Language of Kindness
- kindness to self (your inner voice and self-confidence)
- kindness to others (how we treat each others in calm and conflict)
- kindness to the planet (to encourage thinking about food and consumption)
- Setting yourself up for an action plan to deal with big feelings
Connect with Tara and her free workshops for parents at https://www.taragratto.ca/Transitions%20Parenting%20Workshop
Today’s Mama Must-Have:
Dr. Lisa is a big fan of having a public library card to get books and DVDs
Dr. Toni’s next HypnoBirthing session for expecting parents looking to decrease fear and anxiety around labour and birth is happening this summer. Join her at https://www.hypnobirthingcalgary.com/register
We’d love you to subscribe, leave us a review and a 5-star rating if you enjoyed this episode.
You can also support us by visiting our Patreon page.
Please tell your perimenopausal mama friends about us, too!
Stay safe and healthy everyone!
Disclaimer: The information provided is not meant to replace treatment with a licensed health care practitioner. It is for informational purposes only. Consult with a Naturopathic Doctor or other licensed health care professional to determine which treatments are safe for you.