In this episode, Dr. Toni shares how caffeine affects her and how it may increase your anxiety levels and sleep challenges during perimenopause. There are some benefits to coffee, so listen in to find out what they are. Some people metabolize caffeine quickly, while others may feel lasting affects many hours later. Dr. Toni reviews just how much caffeine is in coffee and other foods and drinks; the amounts may just shock you! Many people are ingesting more caffeine then they think…is that you?
If you need it caffeine stay awake, then you will want to visit your Naturopathic Doctor or other licensed health care provider to figure out the reason for your fatigue.
In today’s episode, we cover:
- The importance of your individual genetics on whether (and how much) coffee is good for you
- How coffee can cause headaches or can be used to treat your headaches
- See Episode 177 for more info about migraines
- Whether coffee is addictive
- How drinking coffee can mask fatigue due to other health issues
- Alternatives to coffee you can try if you want to reduce or stop your coffee consumption
- Examples of caffeine sources:
- 24 mg – 1 oz dark chocolate
- 28 mg – 1 cup green tea
- 34 mg – 1 can of soda eg. coke
- 47 mg – 1 cup black tea
- 65 mg – 1 shot espresso
- 100 mg – 1 cup coffee
- 135 mg – 1.5 cups coffee (average American daily consumption)
- 150 mg – 1 grande Starbucks latte (16oz)
- 160 mg – Rockstar original (16oz)
- 200 mg – recommended limit for pregnant women
- 300 mg – Rockstar endurance (16oz)
- 360 mg – Trenta Starbucks cold brew (30oz)
- 400 mg – recommended limit for non-pregnant people
- 1200 mg – caffeine toxicity
- 10-12 g – fatal dose
Today’s Mama Must-Have:
Dr. Toni is a big fan of hibiscus tea for its antioxidant properties and support of healthy skin and blood pressure.
What Else is Happening?
Join Dr. Lisa’s Facebook group Wild Woman Adventures Toronto if you want to get out in nature, connect with other women and push yourself out of your comfort zone. Activities include: sunrise/sunset SUP, tree-top trekking, a new moon workshop and more!
Thanks for joining us!
We’d love you to subscribe, leave us a review and a 5-star rating if you enjoyed this episode.
You can also support us by visiting our Patreon page.
Please tell your perimenopausal mama friends about us, too!
Stay safe and healthy everyone!
Disclaimer: The information provided is not meant to replace treatment with a licensed health care practitioner. It is for informational purposes only. Consult with a Naturopathic Doctor or other licensed health care professional to determine which treatments are safe for you.