Episode 93: Essential Oils 101 with Barbara Rempel
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 45:58 — 36.8MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Email | Deezer | RSS | More
In this episode, Dr. Toni talks with holistic nutrition professional and author Barbara Rempel about the basics you need to know about using essential oils for the health of you and your family. The use of highly concentrated plant extracts or aromatherapy has been around for hundreds of years and the interest in the therapeutic effects of essential oils is growing. Listen in to learn more.
A responsibility to improve lives through natural lifestyles nudged Barbara to leave her 18 year career in IT and follow her passion of “all things natural”, which led her to attain her certification as a Holistic Nutrition Professional in 2005. As director of a residential Health Retreat she saw noticeable evidence of improving attendees’ health in a matter of 5-14 days with simple detoxification protocols based on nutrition. On the behest of her clients asking “How do YOU eat?” she co-authored the book “Cleansing With Food”
When she started adding dōTERRA essential oils to her recommendations, her clients raved about their results. From there, Barbara found the easiest way to empower people to be in control of their own healthy lifestyles was to provide a “Ditch and Switch” education. Now she is a holistic health educator specializing in dōTERRA essential oils with a tribe of at least 4000.
In this episode, we cover:
- The importance of quality and laboratory testing of essential oils, given the lack of regulation in the industry
- For example, dōTERRA brand lavender is recognized as pharmaceutical grade due to less than 2% difference in active ingredients from batch to batch
- The 3 main methods of essential oil use:
- Aromatic or inhalation
- Topical, applied on the skin neat or diluted with carrier oil
- How to reduce the impact of sun sensitivity that can increase with some essential oils
- Some of the benefits of essential oils demonstrated in scientific research
- The aromatic use of rosemary for supporting memory
- The aromatic use of lemon for increasing dopamine levels, which can positively impact energy and mood
- Lavender oil used in aromatherapy massage on pregnant women reduced stress hormone cortisol levels and increased immune function by raising secretory immunoglobulin A (IgA) levels
- Components of essential oils have been shown to be absorbed systemically be inhalation and topical application, and can cross the blood brain barrier
Connect with Barbara and learn more at linktr.ee/blrempel and healthyoilz.com
You can also sign up for her newsletter at healthyoilz.com/lets-connect
Today’s Mama Must Have:
Barbara is a big fan of having a good essential oil reference book like Modern Essentials and a box of essential oils to use
Dr. Toni loves to use the dōTERRA Breathe stick to apply the essential oil blend containing eucalyptus and peppermint.
Email us or connect with us on Facebook and Instagram.
We’d love you to subscribe, leave us a review and a 5-star rating if you enjoyed this episode.
Please tell your perimenopausal mama friends about us, too!
Stay safe and healthy everyone!
Disclaimer: The information provided in this presentation is not meant to replace treatment with a licensed health care practitioner. It is for informational purposes only. Consult with a Naturopathic Doctor or other licensed health care professional to determine which treatments are safe for you.