In today’s re-released episode, Dr. Lisa and Dr. Toni discuss what you need to know about magnesium. Magnesium is one of our favourite nutritional supplements because of its role in hormone balance, aging and mood. Are you experiencing symptoms of low magnesium? Find out why you might need to have more magnesium in your life!
Why is magnesium so important?
- Involved in over 300 enzymatic reactions in your body
- Found in your bones, cardiovascular system, nervous system and in every cell in your body – less than 1% of magnesium in your body found in your blood
- Acts as a natural muscle relaxant
- Calms your nervous system
- Plays an important role for your energy production
- Influences GABA for relaxation and melatonin for sleep
- Influences your love and bonding hormone oxytocin
- Supports your liver detoxification pathways to promote breakdown and elimination of excess estrogen, which is linked with breast tenderness, fibroids, heavy periods, endometriosis symptoms (see Episode 21 for more info)
- Important for your thyroid function – research links magnesium levels with thyroid health (see Episode 42 for more info)
- Low magnesium levels are linked with high oxidative stress and low grade inflammation associated with signs of aging like cognitive decline, wrinkles, etc.
- Important modulator of your receptors in the brain like NMDA receptors which are involved in memory function and depression
- Can protect you against calcium deposits in your soft tissue like calcium oxalate kidney stones or calcifications in your arteries
- Supports your utilization of vitamin D
- Helps insulin work to control your blood sugar
What are symptoms of low magnesium?
- Low energy
- Low mood, anxiety, panic (see Episode 81 for more info)
- Muscle aches and pains
- Menstrual cramps, PMS, hormonal imbalances (see Episode 21 for more info)
- Blood sugar imbalances (see Episode 45 for more info)
- Sleep issues (see Episode 73 for more info)
Low magnesium has also been shown to worsen:
- Hypertension and cardiovascular disease
- A Harvard study of over 70,000 people found that those with the highest magnesium intake had the healthiest blood pressure numbers
- studies showed a dose-dependent reduction of blood pressure with magnesium supplementation
- A University of Minnesota study showed that the risk for hypertension was 70% lower in women with adequate or high magnesium levels
- Migraines (see Episode 20 for more info)
- Type 2 diabetes
Today’s Mama Must-Have:
Dr. Lisa loves her hella hydrating serum from Joyous Health with rosehip oil and hyaluronic acid, as well as her favourite brands of dark chocolate – Zazubean 80% or Giddy Yoyo.
Dr. Toni is a big fan of Epsom gel, as well as using her neti pot with saline and xylitol for reducing extra irritation from wildfire smoke.
Join Dr. Toni online to learn more about self-hypnosis to support your health and hormones in 2024. Click Here and use the code MAMA2024 for a special deal.
Thanks for listening!
We’d love you to subscribe, leave us a review and a 5-star rating if you enjoyed this episode.
You can also support us by visiting our Patreon page.
Please tell your perimenopausal mama friends about us, too!
Stay safe and healthy everyone!
Disclaimer: The information provided is not meant to replace treatment with a licensed health care practitioner. It is for informational purposes only. Consult with a Naturopathic Doctor or other licensed health care professional to determine which treatments are safe for you.