Episode 77: Dealing With Your Kids’ Feelings Using Gentle Mindful Parenting with Amen Kaur
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:03:31 — 50.9MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Email | Deezer | RSS | More
In this episode, Dr. Toni is joined by author and mindful parenting advocate Amen Kaur to discuss how mindfulness practices can help our kids to decrease anxiety and develop emotional regulation and intelligence. Parenting can be hard and being a kid can be hard, especially during a pandemic. Having tools to manage anxiety in both ourselves and our kids are essential, now more than ever.
Amen Kaur has a BA in psychology and is a certified mindfulness facilitator, as well as an author and mindful parenting advocate. After several years of continued meditation, mindfulness, and self-healing practices, Amen was inspired by her son to write her book Dealing With My Feelings: An Essential Guide to a Child’s Well-Being and Prosperity during the 2020 pandemic period and co-founded POM Life Products, a brand focused on creating products serving Peace Of Mind. She is passionate about cultivating emotional intelligence and is committed to unlearning harmful generational patterns, while continuously working on healing so the next generation can do even better.
In today’s episode, we cover:
- How her personal experience with bullying lead Amen to her healing journey with meditation and mindfulness
- The impact of the pandemic and the inspiration Amen experienced to compile resources for helping kids to manage emotions
- The importance of being able to name your emotions, as well as having tools to help your kids manage their emotions
- How mindfulness exercises can be used to help reduce anxiety and bring your child back to the present, instead of worrying about the past or the future
- The importance of modeling self-compassion and emotional regulation to your kids
- How mindfulness practices can help highly sensitive and empathetic kids become aware of the emotions of others and help them distinguish between the feelings of others and themselves
- The importance of engaging your senses to shift your focus to the present and reduce anxiety
- The ability to rewire your thinking and behaviour, no matter what your experience was growing up with your parents and family of origin
- How to deal with family members questioning your parenting style, especially when using gentle mindful parenting techniques
You can find Amen’s book at https://www.amenkaurbooks.com/ and connect with her on Instagram @mindfulgentlemama and by email at email@example.com
Today’s Mama Must Have:
Dr. Toni loves books that help foster her child’s emotional well-being like Amen Kaur’s book Dealing With My Feelings, which includes a number of actions kids can take to manage their emtions and meditations to practice together as a family.
Dr. Toni’s next HypnoBirthing info session for expecting parents looking to decrease fear and anxiety around labour and birth is happening on June 21. Join her at https://www.hypnobirthingcalgary.com/register
Dr. Lisa’s Wild Collective in Fall 2021: get on the waitlist: wildcollectivetoronto.com
Email us or connect with us on Facebook and Instagram.
We’d love you to subscribe, leave us a review and a 5-star rating if you enjoyed this episode.
Please tell your perimenopausal mama friends about us, too!
Stay safe and healthy everyone!