Episode 170: Making Health Habits Stick Using the Principles from James Clear’s Book, “Atomic Habits”
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 35:46 — 28.6MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Email | Deezer | RSS | More
Did you know that 44% of people make new year’s resolutions but that only 44% of those that make them stick to them for less than 6 months?
Resolutions often fail for several reasons:
- The right systems are not in place to reach your goal
- The process isn’t enjoyable and it seems like each step is a huge task
- Goals are not in alignment with your identity
- The belief is it has to be hard and extreme
In this episode, Dr. Lisa shares some profound insights from James Clear’s book, “Atomic Habits” that can lay the groundwork for lasting and enjoyable change. Lisa discusses how to use the principles from Atomic Habits to start exercising and to drink more water. These principles can be used for any behaviour change you want to make, big or small.
For our previous episode on habits, see Episode 72
In today’s episode, we cover:
- The reasons why you don’t stick to your resolutions
- The benefits of making positive action-oriented goals instead of negative goals
- Why and how you can do a habit inventory
- How you can use your behaviour triggers to your benefit
- The 3 layers that make your behaviour change possible
- Why you would want to start with the core layer to make new habits stick
- How to avoid derailing any progress you achieve toward your goals
Today’s Mama Must-Have:
Dr. Lisa is a big fan of making special plans for herself so there is something in the calendar to look forward to!
What’s Else is Happening?
Dr. Toni’s next HypnoBirthing session for expecting parents looking to decrease fear and anxiety to support their natural instincts around labour and birth is next month. Join her at https://www.hypnobirthingcalgary.com/register
Sign up for Dr. Lisa’s free webinar: “How to Thrive in Perimenopause and Beyond” (on Mar 29th or Apr 3rd) here
Join Dr. Lisa’s new Facebook group Wild Woman Adventures Toronto if you want to get out in nature, connect with other women and push yourself out of your comfort zone. Activities include: sunrise/sunset SUP, tree-top trekking, a new moon workshop and more!
Thanks for joining us!
Email us or connect with us on Facebook and Instagram.
We’d love you to subscribe, leave us a review and a 5-star rating if you enjoyed this episode.
You can also support us by visiting our Patreon page.
Please tell your perimenopausal mama friends about us, too!
Stay safe and healthy everyone!
Disclaimer: The information provided is not meant to replace treatment with a licensed health care practitioner. It is for informational purposes only. Consult with a Naturopathic Doctor or other licensed health care professional to determine which treatments are safe for you.