Episode 168: Why You Should Care About Your Bone Health and the Silent Thief (aka Osteoporosis)
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 43:34 — 34.9MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Email | Deezer | RSS | More
In this episode, Dr. Lisa and Dr. Toni discuss the silent thief for women in perimenopause and menopause – osteoporosis. While men can also be impacted, hormone changes with aging can impact body mineral density and increase the risk of bone fractures, especially after falls. Bone fractures as we age can have a huge impact on our life and overall well being. Thankfully, there are things we can do with nutrition and exercise to maintain bone and muscle mass, and the time to start is now!
Important Statistics About Hip Fracture:
The death rate in the 1st year after a hip fracture is about 20%
About 20% of people who survive after a hip fracture require long-term nursing care
After hip fracture, 60% of people don’t fully regain their pre-fracture independence
In today’s episode, we cover:
- What is osteoporosis and how it is different from osteopenia
- When should you get your bone mineral density screened
- When to consider advocating for early bone mineral density
- Important risk factors that impact your bone mineral density and risk of fracture
- Calculate your fracture risk here: https://frax.shef.ac.uk/FRAX/tool.aspx?country=19
- What common drink and medication increases your risk of fracture
- Why you might be adding prunes to your grocery list
- The importance of adequate protein intake for your bones and muscles
- For more info, see Episode 103 with Dr. Andrea Proulx
- Why you need to get enough calcium, magnesium and vitamin D from food and/or supplementation
- Calculate your calcium intake here: https://osteoporosis.ca/calcium-calculator/
- For more info about magnesium, see Episode 83
- For more info about vitamin D, see Episode 154
- The benefits of eating an anti-inflammatory diet similar to the Mediterranean Diet
- For more info, see Episode 162
- Why you need to move your body to support your bone health
Today’s Mama Must-Have:
Both Dr. Lisa and Dr. Toni love chocolate Pure Paleo protein powder to make “hot chocolate”, adding cinnamon, rooibos chai, heated non-dairy milk like almond or oat.
- For more info about genetics, see Episode 57
- For more info about Continuous Glucose Monitoring, see Episode 163
What’s Else is Happening?
Dr. Toni’s next HypnoBirthing session for expecting parents looking to decrease fear and anxiety to support their natural instincts around labour and birth is next month. Join her at https://www.hypnobirthingcalgary.com/register
Sign up for Dr. Lisa’s free webinar: “How to Thrive in Perimenopause and Beyond” (on Mar 29th or Apr 3rd) here
Join Dr. Lisa’s new Facebook group Wild Woman Adventures Toronto if you want to get out in nature, connect with other women and push yourself out of your comfort zone. Activities include: sunrise/sunset SUP, tree-top trekking, a new moon workshop and more!
Thanks for joining us!
Email us or connect with us on Facebook and Instagram.
We’d love you to subscribe, leave us a review and a 5-star rating if you enjoyed this episode.
You can also support us by visiting our Patreon page.
Please tell your perimenopausal mama friends about us, too!
Stay safe and healthy everyone!Disclaimer:The information provided is not meant to replace treatment with a licensed health care practitioner. It is for informational purposes only. Consult with a Naturopathic Doctor or other licensed health care professional to determine which treatments are safe for you.