In this episode, Dr. Lisa discusses low-waste living and sustainable parenting with zero waste educator Sarah Roberson-Barnes. Taking action around the climate and environment may seem daunting as a busy mom, however they discuss how the choices you make around what you buy (or don’t buy) can make a huge difference without a lot of extra work. Focusing on solutions for sustainability instead of the doom and gloom of the future can impact how you feel about your community and environment positively.
Sarah Robertson-Barnes lives in the suburbs with her husband, two elementary-aged kids and rescue dog. She is a former teacher and the founder of the Sustainable in the Suburbs blog, focusing on living low-waste in a culture of convenience and making sustainable parenting both accessible and affordable. Offering a mix of practical tips and deeper dives, she shows that a sustainable lifestyle with kids is not only possible, but critically important. Sarah is also a zero waste educator, speaker, and consultant.
In today’s episode, we cover:
- How you can start to live more sustainably, even if you live in the suburbs, by asking yourself what you can opt out of and what you really need or want
- The importance of untraining yourself of the programming to buy new stuff and embracing the 3 R’s – reduce, reuse, recycle
- How you can start in your kitchen with ditching paper towels and plastic food storage
- The importance of recognizing your capacity at different times
- How Amazon has reduced your resourcefulness and increased your impulse buying
- The increased options for buying secondhand online
- How to have a conversation with your kids about low waste living
You can read Sarah’s Blog at https://sustainableinthesuburbs.com/ and you can follow and contact her on Instagram
Today’s Mama Must Have:
Dr. Lisa is a big fan of making a chocolate latte with LMNT chocolate salt electrolyte powder
- add less than ¼ pouch to boiled water, add in 1 tbsp of Organika coconut milk powder – for delicious hot chocolate (you can also add some collagen and honey to taste if you prefer it sweeter)
Sarah loves her cold plunges in the lake for the physical and mental benefits, especially with community.
What’s Else is Happening?
Dr. Toni’s next HypnoBirthing session for expecting parents looking to decrease fear and anxiety to support their natural instincts around labour and birth is happening this fall. Join her at https://www.hypnobirthingcalgary.com/register
Thanks for listening!
We’d love you to subscribe, leave us a review and a 5-star rating if you enjoyed this episode.
You can also support us by visiting our Patreon page.
Please tell your perimenopausal mama friends about us, too!
Stay safe and healthy everyone!
Disclaimer: The information provided is not meant to replace treatment with a licensed health care practitioner. It is for informational purposes only. Consult with a Naturopathic Doctor or other licensed health care professional to determine which treatments are safe for you.