Episode 116: Traditional Chinese Medicine and Perimenopause: A Yin-Yang Disharmony
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 46:18 — 37.1MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Email | Deezer | RSS | More
In this episode, Dr. Lisa and Dr. Toni discuss how the philosophy and practice of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) can help with symptoms of perimenopause like hot flashes, insomnia and anxiety. Find out how supporting your TCM organs and balance of yin and yang are important for your hormone balance in perimenopause.
Yellow Emperor’s Classic (2600 BC):
At seven times seven a woman’s heavenly dew wanes;
the pulse of her Conception channel decreases.
The Qi that dwelt in the baby’s palace moves upward into her heart,
and her wisdom is deepened.
In today’s episode, we cover:
- The philosophy of TCM and its holistic nature
- What is chi/qi?
- How imbalance of yin and yang can cause hot flashes, night sweats and vaginal dryness
- What your emotions and waking up in the middle of the night mean according to TCM
- How the function of organs like Liver, Kidney and Spleen are important for hormone balance in perimenopause
- The importance of seasonal eating and using food to balance yin and yang
- Some of the scientific research supporting the use of acupuncture in perimenopause and menopause
- For more info, see Episode 107
Today’s Mama Must Have:
Dr. Lisa is a big fan of using an ear syringe to help safely clean excess wax from your ear canal.
Dr. Toni loves tracking her physical activity with The Conqueror Virtual Challenges and is starting the Stand With Ukraine challenge.
What else we’re up to:
Dr. Lisa’s next Wild Collective group is starting later this spring – get on the waitlist at https://www.wildcollectivetoronto.com/
Dr. Toni’s next HypnoBirthing class series starting in March and – for more info on a free online masterclass to reduce fear and anxiety around birth, go to https://www.hypnobirthingcalgary.com/
Thank you for joining us today!
Email us or connect with us on Facebook and Instagram. We’d love you to subscribe, leave us a review and a 5-star rating if you enjoyed this episode. You can also support us by visiting our Patreon page.
Please tell your perimenopausal mama friends about us, too!
Stay safe and healthy everyone!
Disclaimer: The information provided in this presentation is not meant to replace treatment with a licensed health care practitioner. It is for informational purposes only. Consult with a Naturopathic Doctor or other licensed health care professional to determine which treatments are safe for you.