About The Perimenopausal Mamas Podcast
A weekly podcast helping perimenopausal moms who are juggling raising kids and having purpose-filled life of their own.
Our goal is to educate you on your hormones and empower you to take control of your own (and your kids’) health. We will also provide cutting-edge info from experts in the health and parenting worlds.
Not a mom yet…or ever? Not a problem!
You can still listen and learn more about your hormones and health. Even rockstar perimenopausal aunties might be interested in our conversations about relationships, tips about parenting, picky eaters, etc.
Why We Created This Podcast
The idea for this podcast was born during late-night breastfeeding and pumping sessions when Dr. Lisa would listen to other mom podcasts to not feel so alone. Podcasts were a solace, especially ones where the moms would openly share their challenges, their emotions (even the negative ones) and their triumphs, no matter how small they may have seemed. When Dr. Lisa reached out to Dr. Toni (a Naturopathic colleague and friend) about starting a mom/health podcast, Dr. Toni was on board. She had recently become new mom and loved listening to podcasts as a way to stay connected to the outside world.
Dr. Toni and Dr. Lisa decided to create this accessible podcast to educate, entertain and inform themselves and others on all things hormones and parenthood; with a dash of humour and no hint of overwhelm, judgment or guilt.
Who This Podcast is For:
- Noticing that your periods are changing?
- Getting night sweats, especially leading up to your period?
- Having difficulty sleeping?
- Noticing that your libido, energy and enjoyment in life are lacking?
- Snapping at your partner and kids?
- Becoming more forgetful and suffer from brain fog?
- Seeing your weight creep up for no good reason?
- Feeling overwhelmed, burnt out and alone?
- Confused about how to stay healthy and keep your kids healthy?
- Feeling judged as a mom and want a supportive community to turn to?
Then this podcast is for you!
What you will learn:
In this podcast, we will:
- Help to uncover the truth about hormonal imbalances that cause troublesome perimenopausal symptoms
- Educate you on and how to make simple lifestyle and nutritional changes to restore balance (and help get you back to being the parent you want to be)
- Share our “mom mess-ups”, “super mom moments” and “mom must-haves” (since one of our key survival skills is to laugh at ourselves, even when times are tough)
- Pass on our knowledge of nutrition, herbal medicine, asian medicine and lifestyle counselling (as Naturopathic Doctors) to help raise healthy kids
- Discuss our experiences (and those of other moms who are experts in their own rights) so we can all work on figuring out the challenge of parenthood/parenting together.
Meet The Hosts
Dr. Toni Reid, ND
Hello! I’m Dr. Toni Reid, Naturopathic Doctor in Calgary, Alberta. I am a 40-ish perimenopausal mama to my toddler, Frankie. Before becoming a mom, my experiences of struggling with digestive issues, migraines and period problems while growing up led me to question the approach of conventional medicine and gain relief from a more natural, non-pharmaceutical approach to health. My passion for naturopathic medicine started when, as a child, I went along with the rest of my family to a naturopathic doctor to get herbal tea, supplements, food sensitivity testing and common sense recommendations for proper nutrition.
I knew that mamahood would be a game-changer, and boy, was I right!
I graduated from the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine in 2007 and have since completed extra training in environmental medicine, Naturopathic labour and birth support, and Family Constellation therapy,
I am a licensed Naturopathic Doctor registered with the College of Naturopathic Doctors of Alberta and am also a member of the Canadian Association of Naturopathic Doctors. In addition, I am a DONA-trained Birth Doula and Hypnobirthing Childbirth Educator.
Dr. Lisa Weeks, ND
What helps keep me sane is getting outside for my daily walks, 10 minutes of meditation and journaling after preschool drop-off, dark chocolate, the occasional glass of gluten-free beer or wine AND watching a bit of trashy reality TV (to my husband’s dismay) to unwind.
I work with many mamas who struggle with burnout and fatigue, anxiety, insomnia, overwhelm, fertility challenges and hormonal imbalances. I also treat infants and kids with digestive concerns, frequent illnesses and skin rashes.
I have training in herbal medicine, nutrition, bio-identical hormones, lifestyle counselling, stress reduction techniques, acupuncture and asian medicine. I aim to make my treatment plans simple yet effective (as I know first-hand how hard it can be to take vitamins and eat healthy when you are in the throes of parenthood!).
I discovered naturopathic medicine while I was a studying human biology at the University of Waterloo where I graduated with an Honours, Bachelor of Science degree. My health was suffering greatly due to all the late nights, lack of sleep, poor eating habits, and a coffee addiction. I needed to improve my health but I didn’t want to mask my symptoms; I wanted to treat the root cause. While in school, I traveled around North America, working at various research labs before I found my calling with naturopathic medicine.
I studied cystic fibrosis at Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto, cancer at the BC Cancer Agency, and atherosclerosis at Notre Dame University. These experiences gave me the foundation to unite scientific research with naturopathic therapies and philosophy.
I am a licensed Naturopathic Doctor registered with The College of Naturopaths of Ontario and am a member of the Canadian Association of Naturopathic Doctors (CAND) and the Ontario Association of Naturopathic Doctors (OAND). I have also completed additional training and certification in the prescribing of Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy and the use of Dessicated Thyroid.
Sign up now
Sign up to receive our weekly emails, and receive a FREE 7-Day Women's Wellness Meal Plan and Grocery List by Dr Lisa!